Shoulder Problems / Overview of Frozen Shoulder (Adhesive Capsulitis)
The Cape Shoulder Institute possesses a laboratory for carrying out research, developing new procedures and surgical training. It is fully equipped with state of the art arthroscopic towers and arthroscopic surgical instruments.
The workshops performed in the laboratory, enable not only surgeons to develop valuable skills on models but aid the development of new techniques. This allows operations to be fully planned prior to the performance of the actual procedure on a patient.
Smith and Nephew Endoscopy *UK sponsors a fellowship for Orthopaedic Surgeons from the UK to be trained in South Africa by Dr de Beer. The Fellow must have successfully completed the specialist orthopaedic exam and be in the final 2 years of the 6 year UK training programme .
This Fellowship for shoulder specialist training has been recognised by the British Specialist Licensing Committee. Fellows are not restricted to those from the UK and in fact are welcomed from all countries.
The role of the Fellow is the following:
- To undertake specialist shoulder surgery training by forming part of the Cape Institute's surgical team
- To undertake basic science and clinical research
- To regularly present at clinical meetings
- To promote arthroscopic surgery
List of Previous Fellows
- Mr. Mark Pritchard (January to July 2003) (Smith & Nephew)
- Mr. Tim Cresswell (October 2003 to April 2004) (Smith & Nephew)
- Mr Chris Roberts (January 2004 to June 2004) (Smith & Nephew)
- Mr. Mark Crowther (July 2004 to December 2004 (Smith & Nephew)
- Mr. Pol Huysmans (January 2004 to December 2005)
- Dr Lisa McConnell (January 2005 to June 2005) (Smith & Nephew)
- Dr Anna Karelse (January 2005 to June 2005)
- Mr Gavin Jennings (July 2005 to December 2005) (Smith & Nephew)
- Previous– Mr Iain Packham (January 2006 to June 2006) (Smith & Nephew)
- Previous– Dr Francis Lam (July 2006 to December 2006) (Smith & Nephew)
- Dr Deepak Bhatia (August 2005 to date)
- Dr Marius Espag (July 2007 to date) (Smith & Nephew)